Friday, December 29, 2006

Family, Football, and Food


In front of me sparkles a Christmas tree. The colors change from purple to blue to sparkling white to red, yellow, and green. It is small enough to sit on an end table covered in a red table cloth and at the table's base sit boxes in colorful paper topped with bows. A little T.V plays the SC--Houston football game and its own sound can't rival that of the family in the kitchen. Mom, Dad, Gretchen, my Mema, Grammie, and great aunt; they are clumped in the little kitchen. I think it's half-time in the game, but again, I can't really hear it.

We are celebrating the holidays with the grandparents and cousins this weekend. I'm taking a break from the family. A little time for football and me. I'm a college football fan. It is so much more entertaining than professional football. At the college level, the kids actually want to play because they enjoy the game. It's harder to find that at a professional level with all the money that exchanges hands. And, when the only team close to you is the Bengals, your enjoyment for professional football tends to decrease. Seeing all the silliness that goes on leaves a bad taste in your mouth and it turns me away. College football is a lot better.

The only professional sport I'm really into is Hockey. How do you get hockey in southern Ohio? You don't really. There is the Columbus Blue Jackets, but its kinda a drive, and with the Hockey strike, not many T.V stations air the games, so there really is no way to get hockey in southern Ohio. That doesn't stop my dedication though. I am a Dallas Stars fan. Zubov is my favorite player. When I played soccer I was a defender and I started watching hockey with my dad around that time. I watched Zubie (Zubov) play, found out he was a defender, and was hooked. Go Dallas!

Well, I suppose it's family time and I am a bit thirsty. I'm also helping Geoff plan his own dinner over AIM. We are thinking he sould order a pizza and he wants to make a salad, complete with pine nuts. I am allergic to nuts; that is a salad of death. Oh well, he's eating it, not me.
Enjoy yourselves and have a Happy New Year.

Pictures: One: me on the futon. Two: of the Fresh X backpacking trip to Seneca Rocks WV. Three: the Ladies of Cincinnati, Rose, Carrie, Olivia, and Me. Four: the group at OWU the night before we all left, Megan, Geoff, Mery and Me.

No comments: