Monday, January 19, 2009

Fiction and Non-Fiction; Acceptable Career Paths


In my recent return to lovely OWU, I have attended classes and made a few life-sustaining discoveries. No, I didn't come up with the cure to some disease, I'm leaving that up to the science major. Yes, I still do plan on writing my way through life, aka novel length fiction that blows the socks off of everything out there. But, in order to afford a nicer box, because just writing in general will only get you one that is about the size of a tv, I have decided to supplement with literary journalism.

Oh, now I've gotten technical on ya. If literary journalism is confusing, I won't even speak page design language. I think the editing and design class should count as a foreign language requirement.

Basically, literary journalism are piece longer than your average news story and bring the nuances of ordinary life out where people can appreciate them. Usually this involves the reporter immersing herself in the life of the subject.

This semester I am writing for the Transcript and I was going to do my basic reporting stuff again but then I had a revelation. Why not practice this literary journalism stuff. So, I proposed the idea, got the okay, and now, I am going to spend a week with a person on campus and write a piece about what they do, their quarks, their goals, all of it. And I am so excited.

That is just another way OWU is wonderful. They give me the opportunity to afford a refrigerator box instead of a tv box . . . (I really don't believe that I will write from a box. It's a joke that I have with some friends. I am going to be one of those writers that has a house. That's truly what I believe.)

Have a great one.

Pictures: #1 is Adele, le fellow English major and myself making faces . . . no wait, our faces always look like that . . . no we were making faces. #2 is the same night, my camera without a flash. #3 there is still snow and it is still cold.

No comments: