Wednesday, August 8, 2007

How to Build a Dorm Room Part II


So, I said I'd get to the tech stuff and here it comes.

A computer. As a college student it is about time to invest in a computer of some kind. Majority of college students do prefer laptops because the take up less space and are portable. I recommend them because they take up less space and they take up less space. A desk top is okay but on a small desk it becomes a hassle and it does confine you to your room for studying.
Do you need a computer? We are a tech generation and the convenience a computer gives you is amazing but if you don't have/can't get one you might survive. Here are your options are OWU. In both Beegly Library and the Science library we have computer labs as well as a small congregation of computers in the science library. You can work there but you can't save anything to those computers because the memory is wiped every night. Two dorms (Welch and Hayes) also have twenty-four hour labs in them but again with the saving issue. It is your choice of course.

Ethernet cable: This is very important. OWU is not a wireless campus but all of the dorm rooms do have internet hook ups and in order to connect to the OWU network you need one. We do have some wireless areas but not the dorms.
Wireless areas: Beegly Library. The Science Center and Library. Slocum Hall.

Printers: I debated this issue a lot as a readied myself for school and decided that I did not need one. I did not want to sacrifice the space. And I found the you don't need one. The library has printers (including the amazing print station which gets spotlighted in my tour) and it takes maybe two minutes. This is coming from an English major with a focus in creative writing. You don't need a printer. I had papers of multiple pages due nearly every week and I survived.

Flash Drive: This is a good way to save important papers or easily transport papers to a printer. It is a five second save job, you carry the device to said printer, and you print. I did not know the glory of the flash drive until college and now I am in love.

Please leave me any questions. Have a great one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Samantha.

I like your flash drive suggestion. I have an external Hard drive about the size of a book that I save documents onto. Do students have access to the USB ports on the library's computers?

Samantha said...

Yes, students do have USB access on library computers. Students can also use disks, if they prefer, but not floppy disks. Also, students can always e-mail papers to themselves and then access them on a library computer.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your question.

Anonymous said...

Ok. Thank you for your help. I read a few of your blogs yesterday and I really enjoy getting student insight about OWU. I'm an incoming freshman this year so it really helps!

Samantha said...

Welcome to OWU.

I'm glad I could help with some questions. I totally remember standing in the store with my parents going do I need that? Maybe I should bring that? Ooo that is shiny and great for a dorm room and when I finally got on campus I realize that a lot of stuff was unnecessary. With the stress of changing lifestyles I hope that dorm shopping won't be one of them.

Enjoy orientation and I'll see ya on campus.

Anonymous said...

Hi am i am a student at Owu to I was just wondering if you live in welch because you look familiar to the girl down the hall. Thanks for the suggestion on the flash drive it already came in handy.

Samantha said...

I'm a Hayes dweller this year but if you ever want to stop by and chat my room is 220 and the door is most of the time open.
Glad the flash drive came in handy. I tell you what, when I came, that thing and I became the best of friends.
Thanks for reading.

bytestyle12 said...

This article will give you a quick SWTOR Smuggle review so you can see if the play style is something you would be interested in.
BMW 530 Air Conditioner Compressor