Monday, September 24, 2007

Benches


In my opinion OWU should have more benches. I came to this conclusion walking around the campus a few Saturdays ago. I had been walking for a bit and decided that I needed to sit and take a break but there was no bench to sit upon. Some would say I am just whining because there is always grass, but the convenience of a bench is something that should never be overlooked.

Why Benches are Convenient:
1) It invites a person to take a break. When walking, the last thing a person wants to do is stop and have to bend all the way to the ground to take a seat. Once situated, said person does not want to get up again because they already took the time to get down and get comfortable. It shortens the walk leading to obesity. (not really but I bet I made some of ya'll laugh).

2) A bench is a lovely place to rest and take in the scenery. It invites people to look around. OWU has a beautiful campus and more benches would make people stop and notice.

3) Benches actually encourage people to start walking again. Their feet are already on the ground so the incentive to get up and go it there, plus, when sitting on a bench, examplery person is already half way to walking because they do not have to get up off the ground.

Why Benches are not so convenient but still better than no benches:
1) They are made of stuff like wood and metal which is sometimes hard to find . . . except its not.

2) They sit upon the grass and flatten/kill it. I like grass but a little bit of flat grass never hurt anyone.

3) Sometimes they are uncomfortable but still more comfortable than sitting upon rocks, sticks, raccoons, and squirrels.

So, now that we have all agreed that OWU needs more benches because they are awesome, I will provide some pictures of prime bench spots. Enjoy and I hope to see you on a bench somewhere nearby.

No comments: