Thursday, February 1, 2007

Snow


Ah, I believe we have reached week three of the semester. There is still snow on the ground. We've entered into a loop where it snows, then gets just above freezing, then dips below and snows again. I am especially fond of the days that you stand outside in the middle of the JAYwalk and the wind whips up your jacket, the snow swirls around your head, but the sun is shining. It is a pretty and surreal experience. That is probably my favorite time.

But this weekend, I will not be able to experience such because I am traveling north to Vermilion Ohio. I didn't know this, but Vermilion is actually a color-- red. Vermilion received its name from the red clay in the area. It was the color vermilion. Geoff lives there and he is taking Megan, Ryan, and myself home with him. There should be a bit of snow north, probably lake effect snow.

This vacation is a chance for the lot of us to take a break from classes. There will of course be
studying but it is amazing how much more seems to get done out of dorm. OWU does have some great places to study. The dorms all have study rooms and the library is nice. Plus, the university leaves classrooms unlocked for student use. Also, scattered throughout the buildings are chairs, like in the Fish Lounge of the science center. When the weather is warmer there are also tables outside that are popular to studying. It's really about finding your place and doing your thing. I prefer my bed.

I'll catch everybody later.

Pictures: again, these a courtesy of Geoff so a big thank you goes to him. Picture one: The street that leads to Stuy (a dorm on campus) and some of the SLUs (small living units- another housing option for students). Picture two was taken on the four floor of Ham-Will looking up at the roof. Picture three is of a piece of artwork outside the library, and those tables in the background are the ones I was talking about studying at. Picture number four is something that I thought was cool. Megan is holding the camera and on it is a picture of Ryan.

Enjoy!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you become a blogger? I like that there a positive things for the majors that are represented...however..we need to warn prospectives about a certain dept. at OWU that is terrible.

Samantha said...

I became a blogger through an application and interview process. This blog is about my experiences at Ohio Wesleyan and in my experience I have not come across a terrible department. If you have a complaint, I suggest you take it to that department and not the blog. A complaint is based upon opinion. Complaining to me and prospective students will not solve your problem.

Anonymous said...

thanks, but you have no idea.

oh!..and it has been taken to the dept. and beyond.
Just thinking of other's education.

Samantha said...

Your education is what you make of it. Departmental issues happen at all universities not just OWU. You also have to consider that in the real world nothing is picture perfect. All businesses, workplaces . . . jobs for that matter are scattered with issues and terrible things. It's life. Dealing with such is life.

Anonymous said...

um wow...you have no idea. All I did was ask you a question about becoming a blogger. I have done a pretty darn good job at getting the best out of my education..you don't even know me and you don't know the dept. I am in...so don't go making assumptions. This is done. I'll take up my thoughts at local high schools.

Samantha said...

Your question was simple, yes, but your comment about the department was what struck me odd. I would just appreciate problems being addressed where they can be fixed. I also find it funny that you refuse to name the department. In that respect you are helping some and hurting others. Again, not everyone is going to have trouble or see a department as terrible. It is an opinion based choice.

Anonymous said...

a casual bystander who has been observing this exchange of words. Ms. Samantha never stated that you, fellow anonymous blogger, have not tried to make the most of your education. She simply stated that everyone has different experiences and opinions of people; perhaps you have disliked your time here at OWU, but there are a others who may have enjoyed it, as well. Also, by not naming the department with which you have concerns, you have neither succeeded at "warning prospectives", nor at solving the problems that you have. I appreciate that OWU is not the perfect school- there are issues, but then again, what school doesn't? I suppose what I'm trying to say is, don't discount all of Ohio Wesleyan's strengths on the weakness of one area. Myself, and many other students, have felt completely satisfied with the quality of their education. I do not know what you have encountered; therefore, I will not try to discredit you, because it seems like it was a major problem. I'm sorry that you have run into issues, and I sincerely hope that you get them sorted out, or at even better, work with the department with which you have the issues to address and improve their programs. Perhaps you can use your negative experience to help build a stronger department for future generations of students? Surely that will be a more useful usage of your time than spreading doubt on a fellow student's blog.

To prospectives, remember- complaints always make more noise than compliments. For every student who is dissatisfied, there are probably 10 more who are satistfied. OWU isn't perfect, but neither is any other school

Just my two cents.

Anonymous said...

HEY! YOU'RE AN ENGLISH MAJOR AND YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT VERMILION WAS A SHADE OF RED? WOW.

Mery said...

wow, sam, you've certainly got a fan club going here.

Samantha said...

I want to thank everyone for leaving their ideas and comments for others to digest and enjoy. The digesting and enjoying goes for myself as well.

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ the "bystander" anonymous post a few about mine ... and, Samantha's right, too. Having been in the workforce for nearly ten years now (and out of OWU - I'm a '90s alum), I can tell you for a fact that while OWU wasn't perfect, neither is the business world. At one company, some employees, frustrated with their mgmt, actually tried to undermine their employer by telling their friends/family to switch to the competitor - that is far from the right answer, as it would've actually boomeranged back at them, likely costing them their jobs due to less customers! This reminds me of the first anonymous blogger above who wants to tell HS students to not enroll @ OWU due to a bad experience. I'd rather see him/her do the absolute best to fix the root problem as opposed to being negative. If that route has already been exhausted through all channels, what about changing majors? Channel positive energy into making OWU a better place for all. That's the tack that I took when I was there.

Keep it up, Samantha, you're doing VERY well w/ your blog.

Samantha said...

Thank you for compliment and thank you for reading.

Again, thank you everyone for being interested in making OWU the best place it can be and for including your ideas here.

bytestyle12 said...

Be it by buying the latest games for their consoles or visiting large stadiums or arenas to watch the latest matches of their favorite sports.
BMW 750 Air Conditioner Compressor